The AIFF has responsibility for the management and improvement of elite
refereeing in India including in the Indian Super League and the I-League
competitions. The Referees department is responsible for identifying,
training, development and mentoring of referees, and assistant
To deliver the quality of refereeing required by the competitions, the
AIFF Referees department will mirror, as far as practically possible within
approved resources, the setup of a football club with the introduction of
Referee Coaches to work alongside assigned referees. Technology will be encouraged
to be used to its maximum. Advice and guidance will continue to be sought
from other experienced refereeing organisations regarding numerous topics and
areas of interest akin to refereeing as the AIFF Referees department continues
to learn and grow.
Responsible to the Head of Refereeing, the Coach will have the key task
of coaching, mentoring and developing assigned matches officials within the
elite group; to improve standards, consistency of officiating etc. thus
betterment towards achieving high standards of performance commensurate with
the aims of the AIFF.
Working contacts: Referees,
Assistant Referees, AIFF Referees department and Referee Assessors. In
addition, there is an expectation that the Coach will take notes and advice
from assigned external assistance as the role develops and grows.
MAIN DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
The Coach will have responsibility of the day-to-day interface and
coaching/development of elite referees. This will include:
- Being responsible for the coaching, mentoring and development of assigned elite referees and assistant referees
- Working with the Referees department to promote the development of all match officials
- Representing and promoting the interests of AIFF and refereeing with external stakeholders and organisations
- Where appropriate, scout talent for the next generation of Indian elite referees
- Being accountable for the coaching, mentoring and development of the referees within their group
- Provide effective support for referees. This will include creating an action plan for each referee (based on maintaining their strengths and improving identified areas of development) and monitoring their performance against the agreed actions. The action plan should be two-centred with the individual referee being involved in design.
- Attend matches as the referee coach, as required. Provide a coaching report (different to the assessment with the coach being aware of the areas of improvement being worked upon).
- Use technology and television game footage to assist refereeing development.
- Together with the individual referee, fully critique completed game assessments to build up on ongoing game-on-game picture of the referee’s strengths and areas of development. Assess against the action plan.
- Provide motivational support and guidance to the referees
- Provide Bi-monthly reports and performance assessments for each of the referees.
- Participate in regular referee department staff/coaches’ meetings
- Representing and promoting the interests of the AIFF and Referees department with external stakeholders and organisations
- Promote a positive image regarding refereeing
- Support external communications as and when required
SPECIFICATION (EXPERIENCE, QUAIFICATIONS, SKILLS, APPITUDES AND PERSONAL
- AIFF Referee Assessor with refereeing experience at an international/national/elite level.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative
- An enthusiastic and positive approach to coaching, demonstrating excellent communications skills.
- The ability to maintain confidentiality and to maintain effective working relationships
- Demonstrable knowledge of the Laws of Game with the ability to assist refereeing improvement
- Basic computer knowledge - word/excel/PowerPoint/video editing & cutting
- The ability to design action plans in accordance with the overall AIFF strategic plan regarding refereeing
- An understanding of the physical and mental challenges faced by elite referees
- Excellent communications skills, comfortable communicating at all levels
- Excellent organisational skills, with ability to prioritise a mixed workload
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Collaborative and credible
- Courage to challenge
- Experience of coaching or mentoring referees at any level
- Experience of presenting to groups
- Experience of 5 years as AIFF Referee Assessor in ISL & I-League